home contact about wee before & after things to come wanna be featured? advertise

Monday, November 14, 2011

Thanksgiving tablescape #1



I have Finally gotten the Halloween decor put up and could focus on Thanksgiving.
I wanted to get it done before this weekend, as we will be going to my in-laws, out to the country for deer season. 


This is a photo taken with a game camera on their property. I love this shot! The Turkey looks like someone walked up and placed it in the field!
Now, on to my dinning room table!

A quick note, there are alot of photos and descriptions in this post. I have even broken it up into 2 posts, but I have never shown my dinning room here and there are alot of things to describe!!


15 years ago, I bought this quartersawn oak 6 leg table at an event called The Gypsy Caravan. It used to be 
a filled with vendors who sold strictly antiques. You could get so many bargains there! Not so much anymore. The quality is down and the 'faux' antiques are everywhere. I paid $80 for it. The chairs are not matched. Just the way I like it! I have not touched the finish on any of it. Why do alot of the really good things have to come to an end?


The tablecloth was my Grandmothers, and it is a very soft lace. I bought a few yards of burlap a while back and dragged it out to add a little bit of texture to the table. I cut it in half and sewed the 2 pieces together. I then made a few burlap rosettes for the ends and hot glued them on.


I also cut out a couple 'leaves'.


sorry, this picture would not turn no matter what I did!
Here is my place setting. I bought some inexpensive silver charges at Hob Lob. Next up is my Grandmothers dishes. They are blue Currier & Ives. These were her every day dishes for many many years. She would go to the movies and pay $.10 and receive a piece of the set. That's alot of movies! About a year or so before she passed away, she bought her first set of dishes in over 60 years. She passed these on to me, as I have many fond memories of having home made Ravioli's on these dishes. I was able to have her over one year for Thanksgiving and she got to eat off her old dishes. I don't know that she got as big of a kick out of that as I did!


The set is huge. It consists of tea pots, casserole pots, ashtrays, 3 different size of eating bowls, various sized vegetable  bowls, pie plates, cups, saucers, gravy boats, butter dishes, bread and salad plates and a few platters. I can serve about 30 people on these dishes. When I got married almost 10 years ago, I opted not to register for china. This is my china, reserved for special occasions!


I layered the dishes with these green plates. They come from my husbands Great Grandmothers. There are only 4 salad plates, a small bowl and a saucer. That's it. But I love the color and they look a little like a spider web to me. 


These are also the said Great Grandmothers glasses as well. We received these as a wedding gift from my husbands Grandmother. They are so delicate and beautiful. There is also a water pitcher that goes with them
The image on the glass are etched grapevines. 


In the background is my cable knit sweater candle holder, you can see how I made it here. The bittersweet my husband just brought home for me. He works on a Conservation area here is Missouri and it grow in abundance where he works. I made a bittersweet wreath a few weeks ago you can go here to view it.


My little celluloid deer had to make it into this tablescape! I think she looks perfect between the bittersweet and antlers. These antlers are 'shed' meaning no animal was harmed with the harvest of them, they were found in the woods after the deer 'shed' them in the early spring. I am very lucky, as I have a large stash of antlers to decorate with. Hey, maybe I will do a giveaway for a set?!


The ceramic leaves are actually a tea light holder from Partylite. There are 2 green and 2 orange.


I came across this cotton today at Hob Lob and knew it had to make an appearance on my table. I love the colors and the texture of it! It is in a newer ironstone piece I got at a resale store for about $3.


The sterling silverware I purchased years ago at a Thrift store for $60 It has 8 place settings in a wooden silverware box. The napkin holders I have had for many years. The small green pumpkins are washed with a mix of Annie Sloan Antibes Green and Old White chalk paint. I swear you can paint that stuff on anything!


The candle in the dollar store clear vase has just a piece of tissue paper cut to size and then heated a little with a hair dryer to melt the paper onto the candle. Super easy.


This tall white pillar used to be black and was used in my Halloween decor. Nothing a little white spray paint can't fix! The green candle and beads I swiped from a different room.



My dishes are blue, so I could not go with a traditional Thanksgiving color scheme. How do you like the blue, green, orange and white?


The ironstone gravy boat on the far right is a Thrift store find. I love it because it goes with anything.
The buffet in the back, I will save for another post, as I am sure the details feel like they go on forever!

Linking to:
The DIY Show Off
The Girl CreativeHome Stories A2ZSumo's Sweet Stuff Passionately Artistic Click on the button below to go to our link party!
Dare to DIY

10 comments:

  1. oh wow luv all the touches including the cotton balls. I have those exact blue plates.
    Would luv for my readers to discover your blog, will you please join our weekly party at
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-showcase-tutorial-with.html
    have a great crafting week!
    Maggie
    http://passionatelyartistic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty color combination. I love your candle in a sweater! How nice that you have those things from grandmother,s and great-grandmother's. I'm sure you treasure them.

    Robin
    Robin Flies South

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on your table! My family hunts and I appreciate the cute deer and antlers on your table. Also love your idea for the sweater on the candles. I'm your newest follower!!
    Over visiting from Debbie's Nebie party come over and visit at http://ourbluefrontdoor.bloodspot.com

    Have a great week,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Bonnie

    I just love your table decor. It's just lovely and I love the cottons.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun your non traditional colors are. I love your layers of elements on the table -- what a great burlap runner. Love the burlap roses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely table setting! I love the burlap flowers and the transferware. Thanks for linking up to Dare to DIY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite Thanksgiving tables...blue/green combo always makes my heart beat faster!
    Enjoy the last of the long holiday weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the story about how your Grandmother acquired the dishes!!! It is a beautiful pattern (who DOESN'T love Currier & Ives???), and it is perfect for special occasions. How wonderful that she got to eat from those same dishes in your home so many years later! Wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...