home contact about wee before & after things to come wanna be featured? advertise

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Christmas sweater stockings


I am still on my sweater kick! Wait until you see what I am working on with one now, but that will have to wait... Until then, I worked on some stockings over the weekend! My sister has 3 older stepsons and no stockings. She will be needing some, so I wanted to make them for her. After another trip to Goodwill for sweaters that cost me $3 a piece, here is what I did.


First up is an Ann Taylor candy striped sweater turtleneck. Perfect condition!
I had another clear glass vase,shorter and fatter, so I cut the neck off the sweater and hot glued it to the vase, making sure I did not overlap the sweater on the bottom of vase, so it would lay flat!


I also made a taller one, but decided I did not want the sleeve to go all the way to the top.


And here is the shorter one. Pretty cool right?



And her is the stocking I made our of some of the body of the sweater. It kinda has a 
large high top tennis shoe look to it, but that's ok.


I used this sweater as a contrast for the stocking as well as the snow flakes I put on as an applique.


I just took a stocking we all ready had as a template and cut out the shape, adding an 
inch or so around the perimeter. I then took the grey sweater and cut the bottom off of 
it to make the top part that folds over. 

It is already finished at the bottom, so all I needed to do was to cut and sew the piece 
to fit snugly over the stocking. 


This is the tricky part. I turned the stocking right side out and sewed the top part inside out to the 
INSIDE of the stocking. So it is actually being sewn to the inside of the stocking. 


I didn't like how plain the stocking looked so I cut off the toe. I then traced 
the shape of the toe and added a few inches to the inside of it. 


I then matched up the inside of the new toe and the inside of the stocking 
and sew together so when you turn it inside out there is a seam connecting the red stripe and the grey wool.



I did the same to the heel of the stocking.


Then I cut a few snowflakes off the sweater and sewed the flower shape, just one line down each petal.


I pinned a larger one on the body of the stocking and pinned it in place while I sewed up 
and down the snowflakes arms. (do they have arms? Hmm)



I don't think this is the best one, but it certainly is the most creative one!


I then used a boys argyle sweater.


Here is the stocking I used as a guide.


For the top I used the finished trim that went around the arms, including 
making a stocking loop to hang it with.


I then went on to make a Tartan plaid scarf stocking. 


I just sewed it so It had a Loooooooong leg to it. I then just folded it over so the fringe hung down, then added a loop to the inside to hang the stocking! I picked this scarf up for $2!

Lastly I made a cable knit stocking with chenille I cut from a crib bed skirt I bought at Goodwill for $2!!


I love the juxtaposition of the 2 different textures!


Here they are all hanging with  my hastily thrown together mantle! I needed lots of heavy stuff, cause the tape I used wouldn't hold the stockings and I have not dug into my Christmas stuff yet!



Featured at:
 



Linking to:
  Positively SplendidThe DIY Show Off
Sunday's Best Linky Party!Days of Chalk and ChocolatePhotobucket PhotobucketTotally Tutorials TuesdayClick on the button below to go to our link party!Cherished Bliss

15 comments:

  1. Can I come to your Goodwill? Ours doesn't have those awesome sweaters. Such an awesome idea, love it!
    Thanks for the inspiration!

    Have a great week,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are SO cute! Thanks for sharing!

    -Bonnie Getchell
    http://bonniegetchell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are SOOO cute and you are so clever and creative!!! Luv these!!! Thanks for sharing a great tut! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute are these! I love that they were sweaters! You did a great job! I'd love if you linked them up to my party!

    http://daysofchalkandchocolate.blogspot.com/2011/11/latest-greatest-friday-link-party-7-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are just darling!!
    Merry Christmas to you =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those stockings are way too cute. What a great job you did on those. Thanks for sharing with my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh.My.Gosh! Please share at the Meet Me Monday party! It is now up and running. I am looking at sweaters at Goodwill totally differently now!
    Love, Me
    http://youaretalkingtoomuch.blogspot.com/2011/11/meet-me-monday-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Bonnie

    I love those stockings. Super cute!!

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are BEAUTIFUL.. Very pretty and great tutorials, what a nice touch to your home for Christmas.. I would LOVE if you could please share this via my Special Christmas Soiree party pweeease.. (TY so much).. http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/11/my-favorite-christmas-recipea-special.html Wishing you an amazing start to your week.. : )) **Miss stopping in, gotta come back more often, you are SO inspiring..**

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are really beautiful. I love to sew, and will making a few myself. Also liked you shared with use how you put together. Thanks so much for sharing at Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those stockings, especially the one made from the scarf! Great job.

    Visiting from the Newbie Party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was quite pleased with them and am going to be attempting to make a purse and a sweater dress for my daughter out of some cable kit ones! Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these!! How creative is that! I am dropping in from Debbiedooos newbie party! Great post. Drop on by!

    ReplyDelete
  14. First up is an Ann Taylor candy striped sweater turtleneck. ... achristmassweater.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...