I am still on my sweater kick! Wait until you see what I am working on with one now, but that will have to wait... Until then, I worked on some stockings over the weekend! My sister has 3 older stepsons and no stockings. She will be needing some, so I wanted to make them for her. After another trip to Goodwill for sweaters that cost me $3 a piece, here is what I did.
First up is an Ann Taylor candy striped sweater turtleneck. Perfect condition!
I had another clear glass vase,shorter and fatter, so I cut the neck off the sweater and hot glued it to the vase, making sure I did not overlap the sweater on the bottom of vase, so it would lay flat!
I also made a taller one, but decided I did not want the sleeve to go all the way to the top.
And here is the shorter one. Pretty cool right?
And her is the stocking I made our of some of the body of the sweater. It kinda has a
large high top tennis shoe look to it, but that's ok.
I used this sweater as a contrast for the stocking as well as the snow flakes I put on as an applique.
I just took a stocking we all ready had as a template and cut out the shape, adding an
inch or so around the perimeter. I then took the grey sweater and cut the bottom off of
it to make the top part that folds over.
It is already finished at the bottom, so all I needed to do was to cut and sew the piece
to fit snugly over the stocking.
This is the tricky part. I turned the stocking right side out and sewed the top part inside out to the
INSIDE of the stocking. So it is actually being sewn to the inside of the stocking.
I didn't like how plain the stocking looked so I cut off the toe. I then traced
the shape of the toe and added a few inches to the inside of it.
I then matched up the inside of the new toe and the inside of the stocking
and sew together so when you turn it inside out there is a seam connecting the red stripe and the grey wool.
I did the same to the heel of the stocking.
Then I cut a few snowflakes off the sweater and sewed the flower shape, just one line down each petal.
I pinned a larger one on the body of the stocking and pinned it in place while I sewed up
and down the snowflakes arms. (do they have arms? Hmm)
I don't think this is the best one, but it certainly is the most creative one!
I then used a boys argyle sweater.
Here is the stocking I used as a guide.
For the top I used the finished trim that went around the arms, including
making a stocking loop to hang it with.
I then went on to make a Tartan plaid scarf stocking.
I just sewed it so It had a Loooooooong leg to it. I then just folded it over so the fringe hung down, then added a loop to the inside to hang the stocking! I picked this scarf up for $2!
Lastly I made a cable knit stocking with chenille I cut from a crib bed skirt I bought at Goodwill for $2!!
I love the juxtaposition of the 2 different textures!
Here they are all hanging with my hastily thrown together mantle! I needed lots of heavy stuff, cause the tape I used wouldn't hold the stockings and I have not dug into my Christmas stuff yet!