home contact about wee before & after things to come wanna be featured? advertise

Friday, November 25, 2011

my exquisite evening bag pillow

I wanted to make a little fancier pillow, a more 'girlie' one if you will. Being a lover of Pinterest, I was inspired by all the ruffles and flowers on pillows. So here is my version!


Yes, I am NOT, I repeat NOT a seamstress. So if I can do this, you can do this!
I didn't even have a pattern.


I started out with a wool sweater I picked up at Goodwill for $3. I washed it in very hot water and then dried it for over an hour in order to 'felt' it. I did this because it is a great way to keep your wool from unraveling. Now when I showed this to my husband all finished and pretty, his response was 'I doesn't look very comfortable to lay on'. It held up pretty good when I whacked him with it!
I did not take any photos of me actually making the pillow. I have told in previous posts how to do that and you can see by going here. I did make this one a little differently. There was a zipper in this one, I cut it out and sewed the 2 sides together down the middle. I used that piece for the front of the pillow. I decided I wanted it to look more like a evening bag than a pillow, so instead of the top being sewn straight across, I cut it to a point and finished off the edges, just like the flap of an evening bag.


For the flower in the center I started cutting out large circles, that progressively got smaller, but still kept them pretty random and did them by hand, not using a template or anything. I thin folded the circle in fourths and cut the 2 corners out a little so it would look more like petals. I hot glued them one on top of the other until i had them all done.


I wanted to add some contrast in the center, I tried to glue some of my leftover cable knit to the top of a medicine bottle to use as the center of the flower but that looked too cheese. I remembered I had bought a beautiful antique broach a few weeks ago at a Thrift store and decided it was just the finishing touch the pillow needed.


he flower looked pretty flat though, so I had to come up with an easy way to get the 'petals' to stand up like the photo above. So I used hot glue (soo much quicker than sewing the flower would have taken)


I took an glued a small strip down the center of the petal and pinched it together with my fingers, then used a plastic clip to hold the pinch together until it dried.


I did this very randomly, some every other, some each one, just whatever you think looks right.


See the bottom petals I had not 'pinched'yet. Can you see the difference above?


I then stuffed the pillow with a pillow insert I whipped up and hot glued it shut!

(the Crewel pillow behind it was a Walmart find believe it or not, $14!! It also come in Cranberry)

I love my evening bag pillow! Do you? I am thinking of selling some in my Etsy shop I just opened. I only have one thing for sale in there so far (lame, I know). So my question is, how much to charge for it? The pillow cost me $3 for the sweater and $5 for the broach. What do you think would be a fair price to ask for this pillow and would you love to have one in your home or give as a gift?
Also, If you whip one of these please share with me!!
Featured at: Very Merry Vintage Style Blog ButtonPositively Splendid Linking to

" />Weekend Bloggy ReadingChic on a Shoestring DecoratingPositively Splendid Click on the button below to go to our link party!
Making

18 comments:

  1. Hi, Bonnie

    I love your pillow. Its lovely and the broach is lovely.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable! Love the brooch, too! Please come share this at the Head to Head Showdown, going on right now at www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up! ~Jen @ icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this pillow, excellent job. Thank you for visting my blog! Glad to have found a fellow Missourian! I am your newest follower!

    Liz, The Midwest Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! You did a great job! I have no idea what to charge for it. But it is awesome! Etsy shop? Yay! Can't wait to see what you will be selling. Gotta get those snowmen in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your sweater pillow...you did a beautiful job and the brooch took it over the top! I'm a new follower, please come for a visit when you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adorable pillow! I love that you used a sweater to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your pillow! I already have a pillow like the one in the background...now all I need is to make me a cute evening bag pillow to go with it! Thanks for sharing the process.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks ladies! I am actually still in chock that I MADE that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks great Bonnie!! I love that you didn't have to sew it! It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are right, the broach makes it so elegant. I love th pillow!
    Thanks for linking up to make the Scene Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! and yes I would love to have one in my home and would be proud to give one as a gift! Thank you for sharing the little tips, and if I make one I let you know! now following!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great upcycled makeover! Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. and... you're featured this week! Stop by and pick up a button!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is so fun-and you aren't a seamstress?? could have fooled me! excellent job and I love that you repurposed the sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is absolutely lovely! I love the brooch at the center. I featured this in my Saturday Seven Spotlight this morning. Thanks for linking up to my Saturday Seven Party! http://www.positivelysplendid.com/2011/12/saturday-seven-spotlight.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Boys! They just don't understand that throw pillows are not meant for heads. Or backs. Or butts. They're just suppose to sit there and look pretty!

    Love your fancy evening bag pillow. I'm pinning.

    So very, very happy that you linked up to our Pillopalooza slumber party!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  18. Are you kidding me? A sweatshirt? Seriously? This looks like it came from Anthro. I am totally pinning this :)

    Thanks for linking up to Pillow Palooza!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...