home contact about wee before & after things to come wanna be featured? advertise

Monday, October 3, 2011

Dresser/Buffet turned media center


This weekend, our kids went to the country to see Grandma & Papa (my in-laws), 
which gave my husband and I time to shovel out clean and rearrange the playroom down stairs. 
I will have photos this week of the updated play room.


The TV down there sits on a very contemporary, glass TV stand that is not my taste. While driving my daughter to school one day last week I stopped at a garage sale. 


I found this dresser/buffet, we still don't know what it started out life as. The price 
tag said $10!!! It is SOLID wood and super heavy. 


The top was really the only part of it that was kinda trashed. It had a cigarette burn, nicks, scuffs, gouges, and lots of areas that the varnish had worn off.


And this. Not sure what it is still. I took a palm sander and took the entire top down to bare wood. 
I decided to just use a really dark stain & it wouldn't matter. I used Rustoleum stain in Ebony. 
It completely covered it!


I broke out the...
Yep! Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White. 2 coats followed by some 
light distressing and then a coat of ASCP Clear Wax. 


I removed the hardware & sprayed them with Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze. (LOVE that stuff!). I bought a spray on Poly for the top and the damn thing SPIT all over it! I just kept using it (cause I'm lazy like that), and figured that if I kept doing layers of spray, eventually the top would be covered with spits. It worked.


I am currently trying to convince my husband that we should keep this one in the living room for the TV there & move our current media cabinet down stairs. Either way, I love it!! So I think this $10 garage sale find was quite the deal huh??
Yes, that is corn behind my console. No, it is not growing, it was transplanted for our Halloween decorations. Coming soon...


Featured at:

Tammy Link BadgeSew WoodsyOrganize and Decorate Everything

CRAPTASTIC



Linking to:
Everything Under the Moon
mY Uncommon Slice of Suburbia     The DIY Show OffUndertheTableandDreaming  Boogieboard Cottage  

  Making Monday Marvelous Linky Party Keeping It SimpleSouthern LovelySew Woodsygrabtt
MakingPhotobucket Running with Glitterhttp://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/search/label/the%20Cure%20for%20the%20Common%20Monday  TipMeTuesdayButton UndertheTableandDreaming 
Tammy Link Badge {Primp}  ThriftyThurs Thrifty Thursday Week 43 Organize and Decorate Everything 
Inspiration Friday Graphic largePhotobucket 504 MainTidyMom I'm Lovin' ItA Little Knick Knack

35 comments:

  1. She looks outstanding after her makeover...come on over and show her off at NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY...hope to see y'all there:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbelieveable change! Wow..so pretty. Hmmm..it would look good in my home.. :) I just did one but did it all black! This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fantastic!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! you did an great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing transformation! Love the color combo so much that I just might do something similar with an old hope chest sitting in my garage. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Visiting from Tip Junkie. Following you now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great makeover. I redid a similiar buffet by painting it turquoise. I'm thinking of redoing it again in black with a wood tone top, so I was excited when I saw your link at S Stroll Thru Life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this transformation! found you via the girl creative and hope you'll enter my giveaway and decide to follow:

    http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2011/10/more-stencil-splendor-giveaway.html

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've converted me! I no longer think old = blah. This piece is lovely now. I wouldn't have paid the $10 for the original. p.s. too nice to be in basement. Sorry J!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy cow this is amazing!!! I'm your newest follower and would love if you joined us over at Sew Woodsy and linked up this amazing dresser revamp!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was wondering about the corn! hehehe...Girl I love this piece, I'd put it in the living room too! It looks great!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great find!!! So pretty now! Found you via Boogieboard Cottage. Toodles, Kathryn http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/10/chest.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is gorgeous!! You did a wonderful job. I love your color choices, classy.

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  14. 10.00? What an amazing deal! You did a fantastic job revamping it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a steal! You fixed it up wonderfully! I definately vote keep this one as the main TV console! I featured you on my blog today! Feel free to stop by and grab a button!

    http://craptastickatie.blogspot.com/2011/10/five-feature-friday-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. An outstand makeover, and what a deal at $10! Lucky you!

    Thanks for sharing this terrific makeover at Potpourri Friday. I appreciate your participation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is...amazing!!! I would love to find this at a garage sale

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a good idea. Dresser to TV stand! and I love love how it turned out! Thank you so much sharing and for linking up to our party Show and Share this week! Come on back this Wednesday to link up your current projects.

    A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely FELL IN LOVE with this dresser. Why can't I find something like this and revamp it. I have had no luck finding a solid wood dresser to make amazing like you did. Thank you again for linking up last week at Sew Woodsy I featured your dresser/media stand today!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this look. I redid two dressers just like this recently...http://myworldmadebyhand.blogspot.com/2011/05/once-upon-time.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gosh. This is really fabulous! You are amazing at this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  22. you've been featured!!! http://typeadecorating.blogspot.com/2011/10/anything-goes-38-highlights-from-37.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love how this piece came out. Looks great.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  24. sheeeesh! you have all the luck! hmm, unless you're talking canuck $ 'cuz i'm thinkin' in US $. care to add a converter to your side bar for your southern visitors.

    regardless...you rocked, chick. and rolled it, too.

    impressed and convinced to be your newest email follower...

    amy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, that dresser looks AMAZING! I love the contrast of the white body with the black top. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I absolutely LOVE this upcycle.. Totally chic and so pretty..

    ReplyDelete
  27. ps: the linky is now updated and you can vote and have your project voted for more chances to win : )) TY

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ten Dollars....TEN DOLLARS! Unbelievable! That is such a fantastic piece of furniture. It looks absolutely fabulous, love what you did. And I would TOTALLY try to show it off upstairs as opposed to down.

    Oh, I'm popping over from Better After.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm still amazed at 10 DOLLARS! I LOOOOVE how it turned out! You did an awesome job! So perfect as a TV stand, KEEP IT!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Bonnie, thanks SO much for sharing again, you where picked as one of my favorites.. Stop in and grab a featured button.. LOVE this.. : )) TY

    ReplyDelete
  31. I don't know how I missed this -- it's gorgeous!! Now I'm thinking I should paint mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. So adorable! I love garage sales :) You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I know that is late response, but love to see more beautiful bedroom media chest for bedrooms and this one

    especially modern look.

    In case you need info about discount furniture collection take a look at here.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...