home contact about wee before & after things to come wanna be featured? advertise

Saturday, December 10, 2011

scrappy burlap tree DIY

I have had a few people wanting to know how I made the burlap tree for my Christmas table scape, so here are the DIY instructions. But I warn you, it is super easy, but more time consuming than you would think! 
Here are some trees I found made with Burlap, if you wish to view them, just click on the tree and it will take you to the owners sight.
Pinned ImagePinned Image Pinned ImagePinned Image Pinned ImageBurlap tree

But I had an idea of how to make them a little different than that.


Here is the tree pictured in my Christmas dinning table scape.


I love the texture of it and how it looks up against the greens.


Here is a birds eye view. Why? Sometimes I ask myself that same question!


I also finished the bottom off with burlap, just so the Styrofoam would not flake off on to the table over time.


So I started with a Styrofoam tree, any size and some burlap. I am not sure how much I used, I had some from another project and then ran out and had to go get some more. 


 cut our squares, about 2x2" on the bottom, and got smaller as I went up.
First fold the square in half.


Then half again.


But try to pinch the square so that the hot glue can sit on the bottom of the pinched square.
I even took the glue gun and before I placed glue on it, I used the tip of the gun to flatten out a spot for the glue to sit.

This helps with 2 things. One, so you don't have glue running down the 'cone' shape you have made with the square. (HOT HOT HOT) and two so you have a larger flat surface to stick to the tree.
Hold it there for a few seconds until cool, or I just held it there with a few fingers and went on to my next square while that one cooled. I got pretty good at multitasking cause I'm ADHD it really needed a LOT of squares to fill the tree. I wanted it nice and fluffy so I put them very close together.


I did alter the cone a little and wanted a pointier top on it, so I just pinched the top 
to make it a little slimmer. You get the idea. You will hear some sizzling when you add the 
burlap square with glue on it to the tree. The hot glue will melt some of the burlap. 
Did I say it was HOT?!! But it did not affect the tree in any way.


You will have to  manicure your tree when done and pull off the loose strands of burlap. You could do this for an hour, but don't get carried away, just get most of the loose ones, if you keep pulling every strand, the entire tree will pull apart!

I thought of putting a topper on the tree or a few ornaments, but I like it simple like this. 
The other way I wanted to make it is to do an Ombre burlap tree with the shades of burlap getting lighter as it went up the tree! IF I have time...
Featured @:

Cherished Bliss


 Linking to:

Positively Splendidgood oneCatch a Glimpse ButtonIhookedupwithHoHlamespiceCherished BlissSunday's Best Linky Party! UndertheTableandDreamingEverything Under the MoonMod Vintage LifeClick on the button below to go to our link party!Photobucketbestofdec

24 comments:

  1. I just wanted to stop by and thank you for your comment on my post at Three Boys! Sorry to hear about your Mom. I really appreciate the encouragement and prayers! Merry Christmas! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great tree! Love the color contrast with your other decor & the texture. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable! I love anything made from burlap these days. Thanks for the really good tutorial. Very nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love your burlap tree...so beautifully created. I would love to know if you used washed or unwashed burlap to create the tree. Would love to try to make one. Thank you for sharing. I have joined your followers list and would love to have you join me as well. Seasons Greetings. Hugs, Gayle
    http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by the Sunday Social at The Kurtz Corner! Following you now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable!!! Stopping by from the blog hop! Such a cute craft.

    xoxo

    MacKensie
    http://mackensieg.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute. I like the contrasting textures, too. Found your blog via a blog hop and am now a follower. ~Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Thanks for sharing at the WWLP. I posted it on my FB page. :)

    Anna
    www.askannamoseley.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted to leave a comment to let ya know that Ashley @ Cherished Bliss asked me to be a judge for her Christmas Tutorial Link Party and I am featuring you on my blog in my top picks!! Love the burlap tree!! So scrappy and chic! I'll also be listing you on facebook on my Blog facebook page tomorrow too: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Johanson-Journey/107343806048275

    ReplyDelete
  10. That tree is so clever! It's different than other burlap trees I have seen and truly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the sweet comment! LOL! Those trees are wooden, clearance sale vintage....with a well-worn patina from years of dining room table centerpieces!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a darling tree, Bonnie! Thank you so so much for sharing it at my Christmas tree linky!

    Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a really cute burlap tree. I really like it, cause I really like anything burlap. Creative idea! Thanks so much for sharing at Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soooo cute, I love it!! Thank you for sharing!
    http://www.craftincowgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your tablescape is wonderful; thanks for sharing the darling burlap tree idea; love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so stinking adorable. I just love it. In fact I am going to feature it with my party highlights. Thanks for joining my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Burlap is so pretty! And this tree total cuteness. What a fun craft idea! Thanks for sharing it with the party at HH. Pinning and tweeting this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this!!!! Would you be interested in sharing on my blog for my 25 Days of Handmade Christmas series? This tutorial would be perfect! If you'd like to see more you can visit my blog embracingmessy.blogspot.com or feel free to email me at embracingmessy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these! Your tree is adorable! Great idea! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the burlap tree! Following you from Beneath My Heart-stop over to visit!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...