home contact about wee before & after things to come wanna be featured? advertise

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Cinderella makes her debut


My Morgan will turn 7 on the 22nd. We like to celebrate her birthday either a little bit earlier or after Christmas, so we had it Saturday. I had asked her what she wanted for a cake and she wanted blue cake with blue icing.
My first thought was, oh great, a smurf. The I thought of Cinderella! I cake with a Cinderella doll and the cake would make up the dress! I have never attempted this before so here is my amateur attempt at her Blue Velvet cake. 

I did not have a skirt pan and for $18 did not want to buy one. So I improvised with an Anchor Hocking oven proof, glass, shaped kinda like a skirt bowl and 2X9" rounds. I found a recipe online using a box cake mix and other ingredients. Here is the recipe.

  Blue Velvet cake
  1         box Cake mix
1 1/4
cups buttermilk
1/3
cup vegetable oil
3
eggs
1
tablespoon unsweetened baking cocoa
2
teaspoons royal blue paste food color
1
toothpickful violet paste food color
Heat oven to 325. Lightly grease and flour the cake pans, then mix ingredients on low for 30 seconds and then medium for 2 minutes. (I had a lady tell me once that you should always mix cake batter for longer than the recipe calls for, you will get a fluffier cake. Sounded good to me!) Bake for 22-27 minutes, but I had to go longer on the glass bowl, as it was deeper.
I used a gel food coloring I had instead of the gel.
I also had a recipe for the frosting, but my cake turned out a little green, so I said NO way am I gonna do a green Cinderella, so I called up our local grocery store and bought some of the blue icing from the bakery




I remembered I had bought a glass plate and this light fixture sconce from a thrift store earlier 
this month and used glass glue to put them together for a pretty cake plate.


The cake looks horrible!! The outside has a greenish cast to it, but the inside is blue. I sliced off the top to make it flat. I used 2 round cakes, and took a small glass and cut out a hole in the center for the dolls legs.


I had to use a lot of icing around the bottom of the top layer of cake as it was a little 
smaller of a diameter than the 9", to make it a gradual slope down.


I tried to smooth the skirt as much as I could. I always knew that cake decorating was an art, 
but now I really can appreciate the detail and beauty that they can work into a cake. Needless to say, I decide this Cinderella's dress would be a little different than the original and went for a 'fluffy' dress.


I bought the doll at Walmart for $9.


I took off her clothes and wrapped her in saran wrap. Makes cleaning her up much easier!


Sorry about the blurry picture!



The Fondant flowers on her dress I bought from a bakery supply house. They are little blue forget me knots ($.10 each) and white roses ($.25 each). I already had the tiny white balls I used as well.


I am pretty pleased with the cake but I need a LOT more cakes to decorate!

(I made a smaller cake to place the candles in)

But I think that this little girl was quite impressed by her mommy's skills and loved it!


And it tasted good to boot!!

Linking to:




1 comment:

  1. Cinderella is my favorite and I love this cake! My Cinderella collection has a ton of great things, but I have never had a Cinderella cake like this...going to have to show this to someone for my next birthday! Happy Birthday to your little princess!

    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...