home contact about wee before & after things to come wanna be featured? advertise

Monday, September 19, 2011

Chalk Paint Pumpkins!

The fall is my favorite time of the year!
Nothing beats the changing color of the leaves, cooler temps, the need for a jacket in the evening. I would live in a climate like this all year round!
I also love to decorate for fall. I figured I better get started before I had to add the Halloween decorations that I love too, but that is just not as pretty as just fall!



So here are a few things I did (with my super awesome, 6 year old helper girl!) ;0P



I just got back from an Annie Sloan Chalk paint workshop & was excited to see what I could do to the finish on faux pumpkins. I did a few in Greek Blue (LOVE that color, I see a table in my future in GB). I started with an assortment of faux pumpkins, mostly orange. I love the shape of these two, got them from local craft store (they are all running together so I don't know which store), they are not your standard 'round' faux pumpkin.




I only did one coat as I knew I would be doing a wash on it with Old White: after completely dry I added a bit of water to Old White & brushed it on over my kitchen sink, while wiping away what I wanted to with a damp paper towel. When it gets too full of paint to wipe away, just rinse it out & use it some more. I found it easier to break it up into a few sections and that way I didn't have to work so fast.









The picture frame in the photo above I finished in the workshop
& as soon as I get a new hard drive for my laptop ( back it up people!!!) I will do a post about that.





I also did a taupe pumpkin using an oops paint tester from Home Depot, it was only $.50! I did the same Old White wash over it & I love this one too!

I painted another small one Paris Gray but no wash on it but did use some of the high gloss spray paint from Deco. It is in a photo below with all the other pumpkins.



Lastly I did a cute little pumpkin that started out white & covered it with Provence. After it dried completely I painted thick & thin spots on top with Old White.


I hit it with a hair dryer so the thinner spots would be dry but the thicker spots not.
I then took a damp paper towel & started to rub off the thick areas.


I then took a sanding block & distressed the pumpkin!! The last step I glazed it with a wash of Old Ochre but no high gloss spray as I liked the matte finish on the ASCP pumpkins!



The Metallic pumpkins on the bottom shelf are a knock off of pumpkins I saw & loved at Hobby Lobby and can be seen here.



what do you think, did I make them look better than the craft store orange faux??



Linking to:


lil luna link party buttonDomestically SpeakingPhotobucketThe Lettered CottageDomestically Speaking UndertheTableandDreaming  Everything Under the Moon Fall_Link_Party_Kate ThriftyThurs Thrifty Thursday Week 43  Photobucket Confessions of a SAHM



Featured at:
 UndertheTableandDreaming

30 comments:

  1. I love the pumpkins in non-traditional colors! So much more interesting, don't you think? Great project! Visiting from BNOTP ~
    Heidi @ Show some Decor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a blue and white gal, I love your blue pumpkins! Fantastic! Found you via Southern Hospitality. Toodles, Kathryn http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/09/few-finished-projects.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet another use for chalk paint! The list goes on and on! I'd love to have you link this and any other projects you've made recently at Creative Me Monday! Here's the link:

    http://www.thesoutherninstitute.com/2011/09/creative-me-monday_18.html?utm_source=BP_recent

    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the praise & the invite!!
    Makes a new blogger feel welcome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Supercool idea...love the colors and the distressed effect.
    I found you through TCB...cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What am awesome idea! I love the look of those little pumpkins. SO creative, great job! I am so happy that you shared this @ Show & Share! Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! They look amazing! So very creative! Love that Anne Sloan Chalk Paint - it is marvelous that you were able to attend a workshop! Thank you for sharing this terrific post with A Return to Loveliness,
    God Bless,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are posted! :) Thanks SO much for being willing to guest post for me! I hope that this brings you LOTS of traffic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Bonnie. I have some good news for you - you have been awarded the Versatile Blogger Award! I so enjoy your blog. YOU deserve it. You can find out more by going to: http://projectqueen.org/category/ramblings/the-versatile-blogger-award. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quite lovely Bonnie!
    So v. talented.
    p.s. I see W in one of the photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love to find chalk paint craft so that's perfect. I am in love with the cool colors you used for fall too. you don't see them as much but they look perfect. I'm a new follower now and excited to see your other projects! take care.

    kathryn
    www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the pumpkins! Such great colors and so different from any I've seen. Found you at Southern Institute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm totally in love with the blue pumpkins - fabulous!!! Happy Fall to you :O)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks y'all!!
    I really didn't think past the chalk paint pumkins about my fall decor & now I want ti redo my decor to a lot if blues, creams & silver. I bet it will make the pumpkins look even better!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love these. I wanted to try my AS Chalk Paint on pumpkins...I figured it would work...but now you have confirmed that. Thanks so much for sharing at my Fall into Fall party. You have totally inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw Judy, thank you!!
    It literally took me from start to finish, 10 minutes!!! When you do one coat. It dries so fast I used a hairdryer with the 2 coated smaller one. Can't wait ti see yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! From ordinary to extraordinary! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are the most beautiful pumpkins I have ever seen! I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute cute cute, Bonnie! I just adoooorrre that little one with the white and blue! I'm definitely trying that technique out! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really love these pumpkins. I will be featuring them tonight at my Fall into Fall party. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks so much. The linky party opens at 8pm EST tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your pumpkins look great. I sure do love ASCP! Thanks for sharing...... I'm off to paint some more pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your pumpkins turned out awesome!!! Thank you so much for linking these up to my Monster Mash Bash!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, Bonnie

    Thank you for stopping by and linking up today. Appreciate it. Have a great week.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, I really like the unexpected blue color for the fall. Creative project! Thanks for linking up to The "Autumn Décor" Talent Scouting Party at WhisperWood Cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The blues & grays are a great idea to depart from the norm and really stand out! Nicely done. Found you over at Whisperwood Cottage when I linked up over there. =)

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...