home contact about wee before & after things to come wanna be featured? advertise

Monday, September 19, 2011

Copycat Metallic Jade Pumpkins




I saw these Jade ceramic pumpkins @ Hobby Lobby & thought what a great color they are. I bought the smaller one and then my task of figuring out the shade & finish was underway. Can you tell which one is mine & which one I bought?



(while in Hobby Lobby Wyatt wanted in the photo)

Being a hairstylist of 18 years (yikes that's a LOT of hair) I knew the color would be easy for me to mix if I couldn't find something close. What I couldn't determine was the finish. It looks iridescent to me. While looking up how to SPELL iridescent I found out there is an iridescent shark- who knew!


After much deliberation @ Michaels I came home with 2 possibilities.


One was a Rust-Oleum's Color Shift spray paint. It does not have a color name (there are other colors) but it does say on the can to spray over black base coat. But that was not pretty. I could see using it for a different application, but this was not the answer.







I then added some Ultramarine blue and just a touch of black. That is how you get the color Jade.



I dabbed a bit if ASCP in Old Ochre & Graphite on the stems, followed by a super high gloss spray paint after it was all dry. What do you think, I think I got a pretty darn close match! I love a challenge! I was rewarded with a beautiful match, don't you think?
(the grey pumpkin in the photo is an Annie Sloan Chalk Paint pumpkin you can find here)








Linking to:

Todays Creative BlogCreative Kristi Designs

9 comments:

  1. Hi Bonnie - These pumpkins are GORGEOUS!! I'd love it if you shared them on my 1st Link Party that started yesterday.

    I'm so sorry your computer crashed. I can't even imagine. My LIFE is on my computer. I will be backin' mine up.

    www.projectqueen.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bonnie! Welcome to blogging!

    The pumpkins are so pretty! A stroke of genius!

    I'm your newest follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bonnie...welcome to blogging. So happy you found my newbie party. Love your pumpkins and these cute ideas. Thanks for sharing and hope to see you again next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely and creative :)) loving your blog and officially following with smiles per blog hop..I'm Marilyn via http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com and I'd love for you to stop in sometime..off to indulge in your posts..:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I'm a new follower. I found you on Creative Me Monday Hop over and say hi if you get a chance Jennifer from Just Wedeminute--

    How gorgeous and CREATIVE plus you took all the guesswork out for us! Thanks for the instructions, I can't wait to make these too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hop'n by from 'Creative Me Monay Hop'. Sorry I am so very late, it has been a crazy week! Bu, I'm following your blog now, wont you please come and follow me back?? ~KM

    Krafty Max Originals

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Bonnie

    I don't know how I miss this post, but super cute. I love what you did with your pumpkins. I am going to do this with mines. Thank you for sharing. By the way, what super gloss did you spray once the pumpkins dried? Thank you again. Have a great week.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...